Monday, March 9, 2009

Sabbath

This past weekend I went to a Women's Conference at my church (basically it was a women's retreat, except for we didn't retreat anywhere, we just stayed around here). It was a really good conference. The two main speaker (that had flown in from Chicago) were really down to earth and really real.

On Friday afternoon I opted to go to a Session on keeping the Sabbath. For a while Caleb and I did this...we both wouldn't do any work on Sunday's and just hangout, go for a drive, or do something else. But now that my "job" doesn't really have defined hours, I was looking for some ideas. It's not like I can just say, "I'm not going to change diapers on Sunday." Gross!

So the first thing I am going to try and do on my Sabbath (which I have decided to be Sunday) is to not do any major cooking. Caleb's responce to this was, "so...are we just going to starve on Sundays?" Silly husband! I'm pregnant...I eat like 5 meals a day and that doesn't include snacks! This just means we will eat leftovers, take out (or go out), or eat a frozen meal...or if I'm feeling particulary energetic, I'll prepare a crockpot meal Saturday night and just turn it on Sunday morning...that will be for special occations. The other thing I've decided to do is not do any dishes. So this means on Sunday we will either eat on paper plates, or small plates. But in all reality if you don't cook, you have alot fewer dishes (no pots, pans, mixing bowls, measuring cups...those are really the annoying dishes).

So yesterday we did pretty well. We'll see if I can remember to be more restful.



ONe of the things I really liked from the talk is the emphasis that everyone's Sabbath will look different. Cooking a large meal may be restful for some people, and thus should be included in their Sabbath activity. Obviously, this is not me! (but it may be me in a couple years...who knows) If you are interested, here are the "rules" for a Sabbath that the speaker put forth: (fill in the blank with whatever the activity is you are thinking about)
1. Is _______ lifegiving?
2. Can ______ be simplified?
3. Is there an alternative day/time ________ could be done?
4. Where can I enjoy the moment in _________?
5. Do I feel God's presence and blessing? Ask God to guid you.
6. Periodically review what you are doing
7. Build in an accountability partner.

2 comments:

Lauren said...

That is really cool. I might just give up any and all cleaning on Sundays. ;)

Swannee said...

Thanks for posting this--food for thought. :)