Friday, February 19, 2010

Inspiration from Spokane

The other weekend when we were in Spokane Elizabeth mentioned that she was training to run in Bloomsday. I thought, "gosh that sounds like fun." I love to be outside, I love to exercise with a purpose (training for something is a good purpose), and it fits my competitive nature. The only problem is that I hate running. But it got me thinking..."I should do a triathlon this summer!" This is a great fit because I love to swim and bike. There are several sprint triathlons in the Seattle area and for most of them the running portion is only 3 miles (with a .25-.5 mi swim and a 12-15mi bike). With 3-4 months to prepare surely I can run 3 miles.

My decision to do a triathlon has been perfect because the weather this week has been sunny and beautiful. I've gone for 3 runs/walks this week, including one where I ran straight for a whole .8 of a mile...while pushing a stroller. I figure if I train while pushing a double stroller and bike while pulling 2 kiddos in a trailer, when I do the real thing it will seem that much easier (kind of like wearing a drag suit while swimming). And, like any good husband, Caleb reminded me that it will be so much easier to do the triathlon with 2 kids because it would be pretty hard to train with 3 kids...I mean, how many triple strollers do you see out there? Leave it to Caleb to always put things into the right perspective.

Well, that's about it for now. I'll try to keep you all updated on my training. And if any of you have a bike trailer for kiddos that you really like, let me know.

Also, if anyone wants to participate with me, let me know. I have a list of 5 happening this summer in the Seattle area that look like fun.

2 comments:

kateisfun said...

Man, if I were anywhere near Washington, I'd love to do a triathlon with you! It's my goal to complete a sprint-distance one before I get pregnant again... my inspiration to get back into shape! I've heard good things about the "Couch to 5k" program (google it). Have fun!

Lauren said...

That is awesome, Kendra! You can totally work up to running 3 miles by this summer.

Though if you had three kids, that would certainly be fitting for a TRIathlon, wouldn't it? Maybe if you competed WITH them, the triathlon powers that be would cut a certain amount off your time out of awe and respect.

Ha! Also, just thought you'd like to know that my word verification for this comment is "cyclo."