Sunday, May 30, 2010

Purpose

The other day I was listening to the news and I heard about Lindsay Lohan and it just made me sad. She is so messed up with drugs and alcohol that the judge ordered her to wear a bracelet that will make sure she isn't abusing herself. She is only 23 years old. She seems so lost and confused. It just makes me sad that she is willing to throw her life away so easily. Her life totally lacks purpose. I feel like we see this alot with mega rich people, whether it be Hollywood stars, famous sports players, or big time CEO's...if they lack purpose or directions then they just get lost.


I think that it's because if you are poor, your purpose is simple - make some money so you don't starve and freeze. But if you have money (or lots and lots of money) you need to find a different purpose. I feel like you hear about a lot of movie stars and sport stars that are searching for purpose in the most unsuccessful places. For those of us that are Christians our purpose is simple (well, simple in theory, but not so easy to practice): to love others as Jesus loved others, to trust Him completely, to stand up for what is true, right, and just, and to know that He has given us grace and forgiveness for all the times that we fail on the previously mentioned. This purpose transcends social class, race, gender, and any other division that are set up among people. And it is the only purpose where people can find joy that will never fade. Some people find purpose in helping others. And although this is great, you must always be doing more to feel satisfied. Others find purpose in saving the planet. And again that's great, but you always have to/can do more. There is no end. But when we can find our purpose in a relationship with Jesus, we are never stuck in this "you have to do more" mentality: who we are (if we are following where His leads) is enough. And even if we lose our way, we just simply ask for forgiveness and we can get back on track. If Lindsay only knew this...

But since I don't know her I guess the only thing that I can do is pray for her. So pray I will...

No comments: