Friday, July 24, 2009

River Rafting

Over the 4th of July weekend my family went up to my parents cabin on the Snohomish River. The weather was in the 70's and 80's, which was nice because the river was COLD! We had a great time hiking, river rafter, and just hanging out. Here are some (OK alot) of pictures.

Here's my family: My parents and my sisters and their husbands


The river at night


One of our favorite activities is to blow up air mattresses and float down the river. There are a couple rapids, but nothing super intense. Here's Colleen enjoying the ride.


Here we are celebrating Ben's birthday on the deck.


Caleb and I made him a really cool red, white and blue cake, since his birthday is so close to the 4th. We had red and white cake with a blue/black filling. It was super yummy, of course!


On the 4th we went hiking on the Iron Goat Trail. The Iron Goat Trail is an old railroad track that was made into a hike. My grandfather spent many years helping make it into a hikeable trail, so it is always a favorite hike for my family to do. He we all are in front of the red caboose.


Here I am sitting a bench dedicated to my grandfather.


It was a pretty steep hike. Luckily Caleb carried Hannah and Colleen carried Peter. It was my first real exercise after the surgery and it was pretty exhausting even without a baby. But it felt great to get out and hike around. Here I am at the top.


After the hike, we went down the river a couple more time. It's about a 5 minute ride down the river. Below are Ben and and his friend Tommy braving it in the kiak.


I realize this might sound kind of dangerous, but it's really not.
Below is a picture of my mom.



Here I am hitting some rapids. I only fell off once. Luckily it's pretty shallow, so you just stand up and grab your air mattress and hop back on. Normally I don't fall, but I was waving at Caleb who was taking pictures. That's what you get for trying to look all professional. :-D


Here's Hannah playing with the pump. She had a great time blowing air on her body.


Here's Colleen directing the pump down her diaper. Hannah thought that was really funny and enjoyed it quite a bit.


Matt and Dad watching everything from the deck.


Mom and Hannah playing in the river. Hannah was really couragous by the end. She got her body wet up to her shoulders and she was also dipping her hair in the water. And let me tell you, this water was nowhere close to warm. This river comes from the snowy mountains by Steven's Pass. She is quite the Polar Bear. (she's really living up to the Fry name)


Here's Caleb. He traversed across the flowing waters out the big rock. He made it, although he did get alittle wet along the way. He had to stop at a smaller rock to drop off his wallet so it wouldn't get soaked. :-D


One of Hannah's favorite toys is the tripod. She carried the tripod around and would put it down every 30 seconds or so to take pictures of people. Here she is taking a pictures of Caleb taking a picture of her.


Before we left we had to deflate all the air mattresses. Hannah saw Matt, Colleen and Dad doing it so she decided to help out. She's a good little helper. :-D

Well, we had a great time. If any of you all come to visit us, we can take you up to the cabin. It's in a quaint little neighborhood (not really a town) with tons of great hikes a short distance away (and great skiing in the winter). I can't guarantee 80 degree weather, but I can guarantee a good time!!

2 comments:

Lauren said...

wow! how fun!

Jeanette said...

It sounds like you had a great 4th of July weekend! Nice to have all the family together -- it looks like you all had a really good time in the mountains :-)