Monday, January 4, 2010

Reading

I hated reading growing up. Why read when you listen to music, sing, or play sports? And if you have to do school work, do the math or science because they are the most fun...obviously! But just recently I've started to enjoy reading more. When I finally get the two kiddos down for naps, I want to sit and enjoy the silence. But how boring just to sit there...so reading seemed like the right fit. Don't get me wrong, I still love to sing, listen to music, and be active, but all of those create noise rather than reduce it. There is something about being a parent that makes one value silence all the more. Silence really is golden.

Anyhow, here are some books I've been reading:
- The Mark of the Lion Series. Rachel introduced me to these books and I really like them. They are written by Francine Rivers, a great author. She also wrote Redeeming Love, which I like better, but the Mark of the Lions Series is really good too.

- The Ladies No 1 Detective Agency Series. This a great light-hearted series.

- Stuart Brannon Western Series. OK, so technically I haven't been "reading" the series, but listening to it in the car. It's a great series for road trips because each book is about 5 hours long (that's about how long it takes to get from Seattle to Spokane and from Seattle to La Grande). They are easy to follow, quick to get into the action, and the characters are likable. The author is Stephen Bly. Caleb and I finished that series a while ago and started the Code of the West Series, also by Stephen Bly. This series is also enjoyable, but not as good at the Brannon Series.

So, I'm the third and final book in the Mark of the Lion Series, so if you have any good recommendations of books I should start next, let me know!

3 comments:

Lauren said...

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. Seriously, I smiled throughout the whole book. Plus, the "chapters" are really short, because it's just a collection of letters written between people, so it's easy to find a stopping place if you need to pick it up and put it down.

Lauren said...

Ooh! Ooh! I have another recommendation. Father Elijah, by Michael D. O'Brien. So so good. It's basically a Catholic thriller.

Amy McDonald said...

The first season of the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency from HBO is now out on DVD and we think it is wonderful!!
Amy McD.