Monday, September 22, 2008

Fall Brunch

So this past weekend our friends the Benesh's had a fall brunch. Lauren made these super tasty pumpkin pancakes, and everyone else brought something to share. Here's a spread of the food we had:



So, I took more pictures of the food and of people. Sorry guys, I just love food. Anyhow, here's the group shot I took.

So my contribution was a super tasty oatmeal casserole. Normally I"m not a huge oatmeal fan, but the candied ginger in here really makes the dish super good. Thanks Els for passing along the recipe. Here it is:

-1 cup steel cut oats
4 T butter
4 cups water
3 cups old fashion oats
3/4 cup brown sugar
1.5 cups peeled & diced apples
1/2 cup diced dried apricots
1/4 cup crystallized (candied) ginger
1 t salt
2 t cinnamon
1/4 t nutmeg
2 large eggs
1/2 cup milk
1 t vanilla

1. Pre heat oven to 350 F and butter a 9x13 baking dish
2. Place steel cut oats and butter in large bowl. Bring water to a boil and pour over oats. Cover and let stand for 20 minutes
3. AFter 20 minutes, stir in old fashioned oats, brown sugar, apples, apricots, salt, ginger, and spices.
4. In separate bowl wish together eggs, milk, and vanilla. Stir into oat mixture and transfer to backing dish
5. Bake for about 30-40 minutes...until center is set.

I think next time I make this, I'm going to do a half a recipe in an 8x8 dish.

Anyhow, thanks Lauren and Nathan for hosting. WE had a great time!

No comments: