Monday, July 7, 2008

The Fourth

This year for the 4th of July Josh & Celeste decided to come and visit. They flew in on a red eye on the morning of the 4th. After everyone (but Hannah & myself) took a short nap we went out to the Quincy Market/Faneuil Hall area. We ate lunch at Durgin Park, where Josh and Caleb split a 32oz prime rib. It was HUGE. I didn't get a picture, but Celeste did, and when I get it, I"ll post it!

After lunch we walked some more of the freedom trail, but then came home in order to get ready for the fireworks. For those that don't know, in Boston the fourth of July fireworks are a BIG deal. They have the Boston Pops performing live at the Hatchshell on the Esplanade (Rascal Flatts also performed). The whole performance (music and fireworks) is televised on CBS. Not only that, people arrived at the Esplanade at 10pm the night before just to get good seats! It's pretty crazy. We, on the other hand, sat on the Memorial Drive side of the river. Thus we were able to get there at 5:30 (day of) and have amazing seats. Check it out:

The barge is set up in the middle of the river. You can see it if you look closely right above the railing. This picture is great of everyone but Hannah, because we are keeping her from engaging in her favorite activity. (see below)



Yup, Hannah spent alot of our time playing in the dirt. She loves picking up rocks and dirt and then putting them into the frisbee. There was also a group near us that had a soccer ball, which Hannah was pretty excited about. We played with that for a while too.

Hannah was also enjoying laying in the dirt. I'm not really sure why. I think she just wanted to gross out some of the other parents in the area that were disgusted by the fact that we were letting our child get dirty. (personally, I didn't notice them, but Caleb said we were getting some weird looks) Whatever


Here's our group chillin' on our little spot. I really like this picture of Caleb. :-D


By far, the best part of the evening was watching Hannah do her little dance. When the music began she started doing this jig that looked like something you would learn from a drunk guy in an Irish bar or something. Unfortunately I wasn't fast enough to get it on video, but I did catch a shorter version of it the next day when were listening to some more patriotic music.






Ain't that super cute! All heads around us were turning to look at this baby move her feet at hyperspeed in her little jig. It was funny!

Here's a shot of the crowds. Keep in mind, I took this picture while it was still light, so even more people came!



Now on to the fireworks: They were amazing!! I think it's by far the best show I"ve seen! They had so many new ones that I've never seen before...and they do such a good job choreographing the fireworks to the music. The coolest fireworks were these ones that started low and went up slowly and kinda swerved around alittle. They looked like little ghosts rising up. It was amazing.

I didn't take any pictures this year, but here are some from a previous year.







1 comment:

Unknown said...

Tell Hannah, that I can't sit still either when I hear John Phillip Sousa.
I have to get up and march!